Wednesday’s Card: Split Owls!

Special Fold Owls

Special Fold Owls

Special Fold Owls

Hi All!

I thought it was about time for an owl card. I can’t believe I ever doubted buying this punch! Did you notice I added a subject in the top menu called “Owls & Animals”? All of my owl cards show up in this list.

This card was actually really simple to make. The card base is 5 1/2″ x 12″. I scored it at 2″, 4″, 8″, and 10″, so the final folded card is 5 1/2″ x 4″. The winged owls fly up and the owl in the middle stays on the branch when you open it. I didn’t do a lot of fancy embossing and coloring on the card – just some basic stamping and coloring. I used some masking for the sky to make the clouds.

One thing I should mention is that I went back and added more color and lines to the cupcakes after the video – they just seemed a little too bland to me. I also added Stickles to the birthday hat to make it more festive. Hope you like. ๐Ÿ™‚

In other news, the Stampin’ Up! retirement lists were released this morning. I always have mixed feelings about these lists – so sad to see some of the items go, but then excited about what new products will be coming out. You can view a PDF of the retired stamps and a PDF of the retired accessories. There is supposed to be a sortable Excel version of each, but there is a problem with it. When it’s fixed, I will post here. What’s notable in my mind? These:

Thank goodness, the Owl Punch is here to stay for at least another year!

The retired items are only available until June 3rd, or until supplies last in some cases. Many of the retiring accessories are on sale. If you don’t already have a Stampin’ Up! demonstrator, please consider ordering from my sister’s store. 20% of all orders go to Foster Kids Charity.

Okay, enough of all that. Enjoy the video and have a great week!

Darlene

Note: If you are reading this post in an email, youโ€™ll need to click on the post title above (โ€œWednesdayโ€™s Cardโ€) to go to my blog and play the video.

Supplies:

Stamps:

Paper:

Inks:

Embellishments:

Tools/Punches/Dies:

Other:

Comments

1. Jeanette Duke says:

This card is a HOOT!! No pun intended!! Love this card!! You are so creative!

2. Rachel Brooks says:

ADORABLE! Love the technique – never would have dreamed it up on my own. Thanks for the GREAT video! I’m going to have to go into production!

3. Rhonda Garcia says:

OMG – I have to go right now and make this card. It is simply adorable!

4. Relly lozano says:

Super love this card!!!!!

5. Hi Darlene,

Your owl card is very cute!

Hugs,
    Kay

6. Rachel Sparks says:

I love this design! I CASED it with one tiny change….. I used the coffee cup and sent a thinking of you card instead of birthday. Thanks for sharing!!

7. Such a lovely idea!!!

8. Mary-Anne V. says:

What a cute card. My 5 year old watched it with me and really thought the stacked cupcakes were funny!

9. This is so super cute!! You have such neat ideas. I love your work and your videos!!

10. Such a clever way to make a card that’s a bit different from the normal fold! Brilliant!

11. Anna Jernigan says:

You make the cutest dang Owl Cards. I am now addicted to them! LOL I have been wondering…surely, Darlene is going to make another Owl Card, hmmm, what will she do? Well, of course, YOU would find something totally different. This “split folding card”, is very cool. I hadn’t seen this type fold before, as well as a few of the other folds that you’ve done. I try them out. It IS fun!! I really like this Owl Punch, but I know that I can’t manipulate all those tiny pieces with my hands, so I am living vicariously…watching you! Please don’t stop making Owl Cards! LOL I just adapt my cards using something else, but making the new fold you share. Fun! I look forward to your Wednesday Card post! It’s one of the highlights of my week! Your cards are awesome, your videos are awesome! TFS!!!

12. I loved the new look of your blog! The card is super cute!!

13. Darlene, that card is fabulous! I love it when you make an owl card. They are just so cute and I love that the owls are not just stuck on the front… they carry the party to the inside too. I think I bought my owl punch when I saw your first owl card… I couldn’t resist. This card is wonderful – I might have to case it because a card that cute should have a much wider audience. Thanks so much for sharing your ideas.

14. You’re a hoot! I just bought this punch because of all the awesome cards I have seen using this punch. Waiting for my package, any day now! Soooo excited! Thanks for owwl you do ๐Ÿ˜‰

15. wow great fold card- love the video’s

16. Shirley in Hong Kong says:

Darlene, you never fail to amaze me with your creativity and talent! Superb idea with the owls. I am still in awe. Thanks for sharing.

17. Love everything about this card, especially the colors! Thank you for sharing and for doing the video too!!!

18. Loly Borda says:

Adorable owl card! Love it! TFS

19. Awesome card and video. You never fail to inspire me!,

20. Brilliant design!

21. Margaret says:

I am so glad I now have this punch. You have made some very cute folded cards with the owls.

22. Darlene,
    I smiled through this entire video! What fun to watch. I love my owl punch (you inspired me) and need to get it out again. Young and old would love this card.
    Thanks again for sharing.

23. Love this! So clever!

24. Margaret says:

Thanks again Darlene for another fabulous card – the idea of the flying owls is brilliant. Going to make this card for my grandsons – it’s not their birthday but I’ll use another sentiment and give it to them JUST BECAUSE!
    SO glad they haven’t deleted this owl punch – already upset at some of the colors and sets they have retired but hopefully there’s something just as special to fill the void.

25. this design is adorable!

26. Wow! This is incredible…I LOVE it! Hope you don’t mind me casing it, because it is the best card I’ve seen in a long time!

27. Barbara M. says:

Oh My Gosh!! This is the cutest card ever! You are so very creative, I love watching your videos. I HAVE to get the owl punch! Thanks and hope you have a great week.

28. Suzanne Watanabe says:

Hi Darlene!
    WOW! You are so CREATIVE & BRILLIANT! I love how you create your ADORABLE cards!
    They are AMAZING and FUN for the recipient! Thank you for sharing your wonderful ideas and for your video tutorial (your step by step instructions are so easy to follow and understand) …I’m definitely going to try this one! Take care & Have an AWESOME day!

Suzanne ๐Ÿ™‚

29. You are the reason I have the owl punch! I love all of your owl cards. I will have to try this one with the special folds. Neat idea! Love your work! Thanks Darlene! Snow Swirled was my choice for Christmas cards this past Christmas! Anyone out there who doesn’t have it should get it before its gone. The tree and the snowflakes gives it lots of options for usage.

30. Just want to say I am totally in love with these owls, bought the punch and have been making owls ever since….thanks, barb

31. What a great card fold! Love the idea of the owls flying up. But, I’ve never cared for that owl punch so I can’t CASE it! LOL!! I know owls have been “in” for a while now and I see lots of owl stamps from various companies, but I don’t care for most of them either. Guess I’m too picky about my owls! LOL!! I think you said in a recent blog post that you didn’t care much for bird stamps. (I hope I’m remembering correctly and am not thinking of someone else’s blog. :)) I’m the same way so guess that’s why I have a hard time finding owls that suit me.

32. Wow.. great card… as soon as I saw Owl in the title I knew I had to click it open and see another of your fabulous Owl cards. I have all of them and love to create them for family birthdays. I was glad also to see that the Owl punch will be around another year, though I will miss the Ornament punch!

33. What a darling card, and I just love the owls. Now I’ll have to make a similar card for my card group.

34. Holly Saveur says:

Such a cute card and love the video!

35. Such a cute card, Darlene! You make me want to reach for my Owl punch once again!

36. Gloria T. says:

I am so glad I opened this email and saw the video on how to make this card!! I have all the supplies already in my home to go and make this absolutely cute card, thanks so much Darlene for sharing with us.

37. I made a card with the little butterfly in that Itty Bitty set yesterday and didn’t even notice there was a cute cupcake. I need to pay more attention to my stamps! ๐Ÿ˜‰

38. That is adorable but that is a lot of work/play! Wow! So very cute!!! You have done some great things with that punch!
    Really a great card… ๐Ÿ™‚

39. LOVE!!! A real fave! I had to email this to myself to try it! I have a new stamp set with an owl on it from GinaK and this would be awesome! Unfortunately, I do not have this punch, which, of course would be great !! Thanks for showing this!!

40. Once again an amazing card, Darlene. It’s such a great idea to have two owls flying up and one is staying on the branch. Thanks for all these great Wednesday videos. I’m so looking forward to them.

41. Adore this punch, mine is currently very under-used!
    Fab design Darlene, the headgearmade me smile!! lol
    Great card..TFS….hugs…Denise (UK) x

42. Maria Rodriguez says:

WOW, Darlene!!!!! this card is just amazing. Did I ever tell you I bought this owl punch because of you? I saw a card you made exactly on my birthday, September 7th, 2011 called “Owl Window” and you had this little critters perched on a branch and wearing birthday hats. I thought it was adorable so I ordered the punch right away. As always Darlene, your cards are inspiring, your videos fantastic. Thank you for another beautiful card and video, thanks too for giving the dimmensions of the card.

43. Nancy Sobottka says:

This is one very cute card and not that hard, either. I think you have one terrific website and eagerly watch for your ideas each Wednesday. Thanks.

44. Wow… love your card, very cute

45. Valerie Martin says:

Oh My Goodness! Darlene! You ALWAYS make the most ADORABLE cards with this owl punch! You must have the patience of Job! I get so frustrated when I work with the tiny eye balls! I am usually pretty patient with crafty stuff (not so much with my girls) but I don’t enjoy this punch as much as you do…but I enjoy watching you enjoy working with it! ๐Ÿ˜‰ Hope you are having a blessed week!
    Valerie
    BTW…I really enjoyed the video you shared the other day from Dove regarding women’s self image. I have been thinking a lot about that and I have watched it several times. It just makes me tear up each time and I honestly think that my self “portrait” would be totally different that what people really see of me. Sad hugh? So that was an eye opener.

46. I love it when the owls show up!

47. I love your cards, especially the owl cards. I have made several, and everyone always comments how much they like them. Thanks for the videos, too, they are great!

48. That’s a party on a card!! This card design is brilliant!

49. I adore this!!!!!!!! I’m getting this punch! I can’t resist anymore!!!!!

50. This is sooooo cute!!! I have to recognize that the ones of the owls are my favorite ones!!! Thank you so much for sharing!