Wednesday’s Card: Owl Flip-it!

Owl Flip Card
Owl Flip Card
Owl Flip Card

Hi All,

A few weeks ago, one of my YouTube subscribers asked me to do a tutorial on a flip card. I actually created an extra fold in my version of a flip card to make it more interesting. I also found out that Sizzix has a flip-it die that will do all the cutting and scoring for you (not my version – the standard “flip-it” version). That’s very convenient, but then you’re limited to whatever shape you purchased. With the technique I use in this video, you can make it with any thin die… which means any Spellbinders die. Cool!

I figured it was time to bring out my owl punch – it’s been awhile! CLICK HERE to see other cards I have created with this punch. It’s just so darn cute.

Enjoy the video and have a great week!

Note: If you are reading this post in an email, you’ll need to click on the post title above (“Wednesday’s Card”) to go to my blog and play the video.

Supplies:

Stamps:

Paper:

Inks:

Embellishments:

Tools/Punches/Dies:

Other:

Comments

1. I attempted this card, and it didn’t want to work for me, so I changed it a little. I linked my blog to the youtube video http://pastedpictures.blogspot.ca/2012/11/experimenting-with-flip-it-cards.html

2. WAY cool! Thanks so much for sharing! Your tutorial looks great and the card is as creative and cute as can be. Inspiring!

3. Thanks so much for the tutorial. I love the flip cards, but just could not justify the expense of buying one (or all!) of the dies needed. I would much prefer using the Spellbinders I already have. I look forward to trying this method.

4. Hello,

Thaks fot this tutorial : fun, clearly explained,…
    I think i’ m going to try this out tomorrow!

Greetings from belgium

5. Rachel Woollard says:

Wow, wow, wow!! This card is AMAZING! Thanks so much for sharing! The video is ACE too!

6. Darlene love this card made a little version of it you explained so well going to try this technique again. Thanks for your wonderful video. Karen

7. Maria Williams says:

Awesome cute card! I love making cards that “move” and this one will now be a permanent part of my idea collection. I own a Cricut but have bought several Spellbinders dies and punches lately and have had a lot of fun with them. Now I have to have this set of dies. Thank you so, so much for sharing!

8. Love, love, love this! And my owl punch has _finally_ been ordered and is en route so I’ll be able to try this soon. Thanks for sharing!

9. Darlene,
    Thank you for your video! I tried, unsuccessfully, to make a similar card. Your instructions were clear, and much more easy. The alignment of the dies went smoother the way that you showed. Great job, as usual!

10. Carolyn says:

Love, Love, Love this card, trying to figure out the dies you used, I know they are labels 16 but which one you started with, it doesn’t look like the largest. If you could let me know I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks
    Carolyn

11. Cheryl Powers says:

this was really cool, especially because i’m crazy for all birds and owls, and have those punches – I thought the design was awesome, but had difficult time with the speed of your video following the instructions. i didn’t find any pdf file – gonna look on splitcoast to see if there are any there. thanks for your design/creation. very cute.

12. Fantastic card – thanks for sharing, you are very clever! WOW! Regards Meighan

13. You are just too darn talented Darlene. Love your sweet card. Very clever!

14. Love this card! I am so impressed you find new ways to use the same stamps and punches and it looks different every time. Also – the way you edit your videos is superb! it’s quick and only show the important information – I love it! and wait for your new video every week. Thank you!!

15. Your video is amazing!

16. Flipping fantastic!!! 😀

17. Fabulous card, love it!

18. You totally rock girl! This card is FANTASTIC! Thanks for the inspiration.

19. Darlene,
    What a great card. I love my owl punch. You really get me excited about using it again. Thanks for sharing your talents.
    Have a safe and happy holiday weekend.

20. Margaret says:

Agree totally with everyone else! Can’t wait to make this card – have no one to give it to just yet but still can’t wait!!
    Love everything about this card and opening it up to reveal the two owls looking at each other is so cute.
    Thanks again for all your hard work.

21. Rosanne says:

Hey Darlene…last night I woke up for some unknown reason and thought I did not look at Darlene video…thinking it was Wednesday……..terrible that I look forward to your videos so much………and wow! that is a wonderful card…….and your owls are out again…..so much fun…not sure I will be trying this …but you never know I might get inspired!

22. Darlene, I LOVE this card. It’s soo cute! I wish I could come up with such unique ways to use my supplies. I bought this owl punch because of your owl cards, so I absolutely HAVE to make this card now! I really look forward to your videos on Wednesdays. Thank you!

23. Fantastic! I love this card. So easy and effective.
    Thanks Darlene for another wonderful creation.

24. Debbie B says:

How interesting this was your subject today. I was up at 2:30 this morning trying to figure this exact card out! I saw the Sizzix die at Hobby Lobby yesterday, but I didn’t want to pay $30.00 for it. So thanks for the video. I love it! Ciao db:)

25. Fantastic card.

26. shirley says:

ADORABLE!!! Love the owls. Once again you have inspired me to try something different! Thank you for the fabulous tutorial.

27. Fabulous card and and excellent Tutorial. Thanks so much – I now have some idea of how to do these flip cards and I love your creative use of the owl punch.

28. Robin in WA says:

Cute card!! Thanks for the tutorial. Without your tutorial I would NEVER have made a card like this.

29. Amaaaaaaaaaazzzzzzing! This is the cutest card ever! You’re brilliant!

30. You are so ridiculously talented!!! : ) Soooo precious!!

31. amazing!

32. Natalie Kennedy says:

I don’t know if this card could BE any cuter! It’s totally rocking my world! Thank you!

33. Boy you work fast! LOL Love the video, thanks for a very informative tutorial.

34. Mary Ann Huntington says:

Oh my goodness, you are so amazing. I can’t stop watching this video. I’ve always wanted to learn how to make a flip-it card. Thank you so much for sharing your talent. You are really appreciated.

35. LOVE this card!!!

Time to get out the spellbinder dies….

Thank you so much for sharing.

36. Carol Lucas says:

So cute! Thanks for sharing!

37. Margaret in WI says:

Wow, I didn’t know the trick to only putting part of the die through the Big Shot! Thanks Darlene!

38. Wow!! Gorgeous and adorable at the same time! LOVE the pretty stamped background and the owls on this flipped out card are amazing 🙂 Thanks for the video!

39. wow!!!!!!!!!!

40. Holly Saveur says:

LOVE LOVE this card so CUTE!!
    Love that owl punch too where can I buy it you think?
    I live in the Netherlands since its from SU?
    Thanks so very much for this super video..will for sure try it…just bought the Sizzix die last week as a present for my mums B-day…
    Holly.

• Darlene DeVries says:

@Holly – Stampin’ Up! doesn’t let demonstrators sell internationally, so you’ll have to find someone in your area. Or, if you know someone on a military base near you, I can have it shipped there.

41. Hello Darlene: Ohhhhh!!!!! I’m drooling…..Dear, dear lady, you did it again. I think I wait for Wednesdays with more antisipation than Christmas!!!!! This card is fabulous, fun, charming, delightful, amazing. Thank you so very much for taking the time to put this card and video together, you really are a great teacher.
    Maria.

42. What a great idea. I am already seeing money saved instead of buying the Sizzix dies.

43. Darlene, what a fabulous flip card! Those owls are so adorable!! Have to try making this card. Thanks for the inspiration … and the wonderful tutorial!

44. What a great tutorial and card… as usual you always inspire me. Thanks for making my wednesdays so happy!

45. This is so stinkin’ adorable it makes my teeth itch. I love this owl and his lady love.

46. Lillian F. says:

Wow Darlene I love it! You make it seem sooo easy. I have to keep this one for reference when I use my nestabilities. You’re awesome!

47. Thanks for this great video…you’ve solved the mystery of the flip card for me and with such a fabulous card design too!

48. Wow, Darlene, you keep me busy, now I HAVE to make this card….Such a shame that Stampin up don’t ship oversea. I would love to have that owl punch…..

49. That is by far my favorite card of yours yet! So creative!

50. It’s private 🙁